Monday, June 25, 2007

Live From Miami

My big kick recently has been Miami Bass after a Gutter Broadcast post reinvigorated my interest. What is striking to me is the way in which Miami Bass incorporates electronic elements and is many ways a hybrid of hip-hop and electronic music. Check the Juan Atkins' samples in Splack Pack's "Let Me C-Ya Work It" or the massive 808 kick drums on almost every track the genre has to offer. Miami Bass' is influenced as much by early hip-hop and electro greats as it is Detroit techno and Chicago house. I actually took the time to make a YouTube playlist so I can watch them all in a row (although I threw in one electro wildcard: J.J. Fad's "Supersonic").

P.S.: On a completely unrelated note, has anyone heard the new T.I. leak?

Splack Pack - Let Me C-Ya Work It
Poison Clan - Dance All Nite
YouTube playlist: Miami Bass Classics

No comments: