Wednesday, April 18, 2007

DJ Chuck T - Down South Slangin' Vol. 34


I was on my friends' radio show (I Want My Kids Back) the other night which runs from 12-2am EST on our local college radio station, WCWM (Listen online!). Since the FCC doesn't regulate radio traffic for profanity after midnight, we decided to engage in an on air crunk rap fest that began by my bringing DJ Chuck T's Down South Slangin' Vol. 34 to the station and playing 3-4 key tracks. In my enthusiasm for purely electronic music in the past few months, I had forgotten how much I love crunk rap. I have been into southern rap for awhile, or at least since I found MixtapeTorrent and the Houston rap scene a couple of years ago (I'm a Houston native). For those of you who are not yet acquainted with the Down South Slangin' series, let me just tell you, these are some of the best rare crunk rap cuts you've ever heard. Awready.com, a fan site dedicated to the proliferation of southern rap, nominated the Down South Slangin series as the best mixtape series and DJ Chuck T as the best mixtape DJ of the year.

Best believe, the mixtape business is big business; bootlegging and illegal copying are huge in the hip-hop industry. Most of all, I feel as if the transition in hip-hop from focusing on lyrical content to beatmaking reflects an increased connection to electronic music. If you haven't been listening lately, you might have missed all the Kraftwerk and Cybotron samples showing up in popular hip-hop. The fact that we have hip-hop celebrities that are primarily producers indicates a change in attitudes toward the instrumental musical component of hip-hop. That's it for my rant, listen to mixtapes!

Boyz N Da Hood - Bite Down
Yung Red feat. Archie Lee and Cooda Bang - Wouldn't Get Far
Paul Wall feat. Slim Thug - Chunk Up Da Deuce (Remix)

P.S.: Did anyone catch the Twilight Zone sample in the Chunk Up Da Deuce remix? Awesome.

No comments: