Thursday, May 10, 2007

Demon Boyz - Acieed! Mixtape


I don't feel that this would necessarily come as a surprise to anyone, but I am a huge fan of early house music and my appreciation for the genre is constantly growing. The Soul Jazz compilation "Acid: Can You Jack?" which focuses on the experimental side of acid house has been on heavy rotation in addition to a 15-CD Chicago House box set my roommate downloaded, which is really primo stuff. In the past two days, I've probably spent 8 or so hours that could have been better allocated to studying for finals or writing final papers messing around with Propellerhead's ReBirth (an old school emulator for the TB303, TR808, and TR909) making beats that sound like Phuture trax. In short, I'm kind of an acieed freak!

So I got to thinking, "What is the best way to introduce other to the wonders of acieed?" I came across the answer in the form of a mixtape I had downloaded awhile back from Dalston Oxfam Shop, a blog run by a record store in UK where they post a digital copy of a cassette tape mix each week. While admittedly, this tape is NOT acieed house in the purest sense(although "Acieed!" is the title of the mixtape), it is a really good mixtape of post-acid proto-deep house type stuff, and definitely takes a lot of influence from acieed's 303 squirms and simplistic 808 beats. Plus, you get the added bonus of lofi hum from the cassette tape conversion. Give it a listen!

Acieed! Tape, Side A
Acieed! Tape, Side B

No comments: