Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Old School Reggaeton


Ghetto Bassquake has been a goldmine for the past few weeks. In addition to dancehall and kuduro mixes for the pilfering the blog also did a section on old school reggaeton from the early 1990s. After giving the stuff a listen myself, I decided that it's really good. Good enough that I decided almost immediately to post on it. Most interesting to me is the rave influence of early reggaeton. There are tons of house-y, trance-y synth lines and rave stabs of screaming women, cracking whips, and police sirens. Sounds like the best thing that could ever happen for reggaeton to me. I'm all for the fledging of electronic music culture into other genres even if it already happened like a decade ago and I'm just discovering it now. Props to DJ Vamanos for writing an excellent, excellent blog and exposing the world to dance music culture.

Also worth noting, DJ Funk did a ghettotech remix of Mims' "This Is Why I'm Hot" and it's really really good. Sort of even better than the dancehall-ish remix that has been floating around for awhile. [zShare link]

Principal - El Latigo
Don Chezina - Muevete Toda La Noche

P.S.: I'm starting to run out of space to store music online. I might start deleting songs from older posts and turning the links into email links. If you want any older stuff just email me and I can send it to you. That's like a week away from happening, but just a heads up because I only have 500MB of space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cheers for the props mate. Will be sure to check your blog-looks good.

Peace
vamanos