Thursday, April 12, 2007

The KLF - The White Room


I was dicking around on Wikipedia yesterday, when I came across the entry for acid house legends, the KLF. Why this even matters is because the band's history is an interesting incorporation of popular culture and radical activism that isn't really replicated within American popular culture. Not only did they purport the musical concept of "stadium rave" whereby masses of people would be connected collectively by music, but they also did cool things like make music videos about Illuminati crop circles and set fire to 1,000,000 Pounds Sterling on an island off the coast of Scotland as a protest to consumer culture. Did I mention they were really popular and commercially successful in the UK throughout the 1990s? I am constantly astounded by how much I didn't know about the European music industry when I eventually find it out and this is just the kind of odd cultural experience that America missed out on by not buying into electronic music like Europe did. Take a listen. The music itself is a really a weird combination of trance, hip house, and vocal house that I can't even really describe, but can definitely appreciate. Kick out the jams!

The KLF - 3am Eternal (Live at the S.S.L.)/Church of the KLF
The KLF - What Time Is Love? (Radio 7")

No comments: